Once I find a product I like, I tend to be very loyal to it, and don’t usually stray unless I hear a truly ringing endorsement about something else. I also steer away from super expensive products. As much as I adore the Naked palettes, I don’t know if I could justify picking one up. I adore make-up and beauty products, but I wouldn’t consider myself a die hard by any means. Hell, my liquid eyeliner isn’t even like, 80% of the time. Here are a few of my favourite products that I use on a daily(ish) basis. Most can be found in any local drug store and they won’t blow your budget.
1. Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser – I saw this product on pinterest and I just had to try it. I bought it and love it. It’s a perfect base for if you’re doing your full make-up or if you wanted to rock a barely there look. I wrote a full review on it over at StatsStyleScore.com. Check it out here.
2. Quo Brushes Travel Set – I got this travel set of brushes for Christmas a couple years ago. I like the set a lot. For someone who likes to be super creative with their make-up might prefer a higher end set with a wider variety of brushes, but for me, this set is perfect. It came in its own pouch which is great for travelling. OBVIOUSLY.
3. Lashblast Volume Mascara – I used to use this Covergirl pretty exclusively until a friend told me to try the volumizing one. I find it does a better job at lengthening my lashes along with volumizing. Once I started using mascaras with these brushes, I can’t go back to the ones that use bristle brushes.
4. Phone Cord Elastic – This thing is pretty nifty. I got it in a subway station in Beijing after a few weeks of seeing women everywhere using these things in their hair. I was told that they don’t leave kinks in your hair. I picked it up for the equivalent of like, 40 cents or something. I’ve had it for like, 3 years at this point and it still works great. I love it for my classic ‘I’ve given up on trying to do something with my hair’ bun, which I break out at least 6 times a week. You can find your own like this on Amazon and other accessories stores.
5. Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh – I don’t wear perfume very often, which is why this bottle is nearly 5 years old and it is still almost full. However, I love this scent. It’s light and springy, and not overwhelming or musky like a lot of perfumes. When I do decide to get fancy, this is what I use.
6. Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Sunscreen – Throughout the spring, summer, and fall, I try to wear sunscreen every day. I don’t really like the way my face looks tanned, but also health reasons or something more important than my vanity. Regardless, this is what I use because it is light, moisturising, and non-greasy. It also smells amazing.
7. Noyah Lip Balm – I am obsessed with this lip balm. This is the one I keep in my purse. I got this balm in an ipsy bag last summer and I love it so much. The scents are perfect (I got vanilla, a friend got cherry). I am definitely going to order a few more when this one inevitably kicks the bucket.
8. John Frieda Sheer Blonde Get Blonder – Here is my deep, dark secret; I’m not a natural blonde. No, it’s true. I was born a brunette. Not like, a fun brunette. My hair was always that mousey colour Ann M Martin always described Mary Ann as having in the baby-sitters’ club books. For years I used old school sun-in to keep my hair’s golden hue. Since, I’ve graduated to a more mature version. You might want to be careful if your hair is super dark, I think your hair would go orangeish. But if your hair is on the lighter side, have at ‘er. Make sure you use conditioner or a leave-in treatment, or your hair will get dry.
9. CG Smoothers Aquasmooth Foundation – I’ve always been a Covergirl lover. Someone told me about this foundation in high school, and it’s been the only foundation I’ve used since. It’s very light, and gives fantastic coverage. I don’t usually use it in the summer, because the one I have doesn’t totally match my skintone. In the summer, I used this BB cream, also by Covergirl.
10. Bonnebell Blush ‘n Go – I know what you’re thinking. ‘Bonnebell? really? aren’t they just for chapsticks?’. I got this blush in an easter basket and I fell in love. It’s the perfect colour of pink for me. It can be easy to go overboard with blush, but with this creamy stick, you can control how much you put on.
11. ELF Matte Lip Colour – I got this for like, 3 dollars, and it was a great non-investment. This is easily the best red lip colour I’ve ever owned. I prefer my lipsticks on the matte side, so this one is great. They make a bunch of different colours too, and at that price you can afford to buy them all.
12. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo – Since I lighten my hair, it has the tendency to get dry. The combo of the shampoo and conditioner in this line is just what my hair needs to look and feel healthy.
Let me know what your favourite products are, and if you have used any of mine in the comments or on twitter, @hstrong_